The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

MY TAKE ON THE OLYMPICS

Just in case you have missed it before, I am not a huge fan of organized sports. To me they (together with TV, Hollywood, and today’s politicians) smack of the original Roman circuses, completed with chariot races and gladiator fights. Add to that the grueling, inhuman regiments that the athletes are subjected too, usually from an early age, and the whole idea of glorification of the physical prowess, and you can count me out of the Olympics aficionados.

This time was no different, and yours truly did not catch any kind of Olympic fever. My personal impressions can be encapsulated in the following. Number one, I am glad that this time the host was a Democratic country. Number two, the more American medals, (especially gold), the merrier – just for the beauty of making everyone listen to the Star-Spangled Banner. And number three – the more drubbing the Russian athletes are going to get, the better (and this time I do not care who is going to get this honor). They are free to love and pledge allegiance to whatever rat hole they were born and raised in, but if they have the unmitigated gall of living and training here, and then representing Russian Federation in the games, they deserve to lose! By the latest count, Americans are first in the total medal count, and Russians are in 18th place – behind Czech Republic, Estonia, and Poland; this is what I call poetic justice.

And this just in: according the important news agencies like MSN, “US Goalies’ Helmets Came Under Fire”; why? Their helmets are in violation of International Olympic Committee Rules, because they have slogans, and having advertisements or political messages is verboten. Ryan Miller has “Miller Time” (his personal joke) and “Matt Man” (in honor of his cousin who died of cancer). Jonathan Quick’s offence is even worse – his helmet has “Support Our Troops”. You know what, scratch my non-involvement! My entire life I could not care less about hockey, but I really hope those guys win, so all the bastards will have to sit through another rendition of the Banner, and, hopefully, America the Beautiful and Yankee Doodle Dandy in the bargain!

1 comment:

Ookamikun said...

Well of course they're wrong to wear those helmets!
Slogans such as those can strike real fear and terror into the hearts of EU nations and make the game unfair!