The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

SLIGHTLY LATE INTRODUCTION

I decided that before I continue commenting on topics that bother me, I have to actually tell a bit more about myself, so the reasons for my anger and frustration may be clear (or clearer).

First of all, I am a woman (in case it was not obvious before).

Second of all, I am Jewish. That is the corner stone of my existence. I am what is commonly called Orthodox, which means I drive my employer crazy with strange schedules and Holidays that fall in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, I am committed to Judaism.
I have a very kooky, but wonderful family. Unfortunately, my parents decided a short while ago that they do not like each other anymore, so, at the ripe old age of thirty I became a "child of divorced parents". I try to joke about it, but sometimes it still bothers me. I also have amazing siblings. They are the best in the whole world! I am the oldest in our family, so I drive them crazy a lot; they usually pay me back handsomely.

I am also a "singleton"; I was never married, hence my addiction to Bridget Jones. I am a hopeless romantic, maybe that is why I am still single:).

I grew up in Russia when it was still called USSR, in Moscow, of all places. We came to America when I was almost 18. I won't say that my childhood was unhappy. I had my parents after all, and they tried to shield us as much as possible. But I resent and will always resent being called "Russian". I am a Jew from Russia, and that is a very big difference. For this, and many other reasons, I love America very much and consider myself an American patriot. I am a huge fan of late President Reagan, and yep, you guessed it! I am a right-winger politically, and very passionate about the topic. I firmly believe in American Constitution (the real thing, not the misinterpretation). I wish people would be more serious about studying it and the American history (again, the truth, and not the PC version).

I am also a New Yorker who actually loves New York! Well, Manhattan anyway. I can't imagine living anywhere else, and I am a true child of the big city.

I also love, love, love to read! I never go anywhere without a book. My sister's favorite story is how I once went to a wedding reception with a book:) I also love to discuss what I have read ad nauseum (to my listeners). My sister finally learned a valuable lesson of not recommending anything to read, let alone nag me to read it! Ahhh, Harry Potter:) But more on that later.

I also have strangely non-female characteristics: I hate to shop for clothes, wear make-up, or look in the mirror. My only female weaknesses are perfume and nails. I am a big cat person, but for the reasons too long to explain I live with a hamster named Degenerate (The First or The Second, I am not sure), and a palm plant which I am trying not to kill.

Last, but not least, I resent people not using their brain. I believe that accounts for tremendous amount of everyday frustrations and serious problems in the world. Some time ago, while studying the book of Genesis with my brother, I came upon one commentary, which made a tremendous impact on me. I do not remember the exact quote, but the general meaning was that a lot of people's sins are the result of them not using one of G-d's greatest gifts, the brain! How painfully true that is! The more I think about it and look around, the clearer the truthfulness of this statement is to me. How many people go through life doing things that are totally devoid of logic just because "that is how it is done" and "everybody does it like this"? When you stop and think and try to analyze so many things accepted as the way of life, you will begin to see their total irrationality, it not outright stupidity. So, Barb's world seems and feels like a wonderland most of the time

No comments: