The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Monday, April 27, 2009

HOLIDAY HIGHLIGHTS

Part 2

Anyway, aside from that remarkable conversation with a newly minted barrister, my Passover included the following:

Was good-naturally accused of loving Mini Me sooo much more than Mini Not Me; accusation based on the amount of corresponding pictures I have posted in FaceBook. In defense, had to inform my friend that I love them both to pieces; the disparity in the quantity of pictures comes from the simple fact of Mini Me enjoying Sunday outings with her Papi, as opposed to her brother, who would have social services on my head way before we would reach Manhattan with his pitiful demands of "Mommy." My brother had to add his two cents to the story by pointing out that it would probably be FBI, and not social services, since Mini Not Me is, well, mini not me, so I would probably be accused of kidnapping, and not just child abuse. Just imagine the announcements on the Subway!

It also became apparent that I am not alone in my desire to deal a crushing, but well deserved blow to our thoroughly corrupt school system by starting to home school our kids. One of my friends even had a very practical plan of how to do it (unfortunately, it usually stops at our necessity to work for a living).

At both Sedarim, I was treated to different, but equally gory and imaginative descriptions of what was going on in the Temple when people were bringing their Passover sacrifices en mass. What is it with men and blood and gore?

Contained myself in the face of extreme provocation offered by one of my very good friends, who, due to a probable early mid-life crisis, became a fervent Obama supported and honorary black dude.

Was further entertained in a different household by a tale offered by one of their daughters. She (the daughter) is working in some kind of administrative capacity in a nursing home. Apparently, she had an immigrant co-worker, who, being a very good seamstress, was offered a much better paying position in one of the couture houses. However, the poor woman would rather go back to being an underpaid administrative worker, since dealing with mercurial moods of the people who are able to afford that couture is very wearing on the nerves. One example given was some kind of famous lady named Jennifer Lopez (you got to love the immigrants ignorant of our idiotic fascination with celebrities) who insisted on having a gown cut (despite the gently offered advise), and then wanted to lengthen it again.

Got into a discussion with a young father, who thought that it's a hoot to suggest that it would be better for his daughter to have a permanent diaper rush, because, according to his calculations, Desitin is cheaper than Huggies. Not the first time did I observe that fatherhood does not necessarily mature the male of the species.

Tried to explain to a nice Ashkenazi girl my reasoning for my family not belonging to either Ashkenazim or Sephardim (which, by the way, requires a rudimentary knowledge of Jewish history). "So, how would you classify yourself?" was her slightly annoyed question (I guess my accent was grading on her nerves). "Well, we just call ourselves Jews." "What?" Sheesh! You know those strange people who annoy everyone? Yes, those!

Brought a bottle of wine to my other friend, which resulted in his corkscrew breaking. In situation like this I would just make a joke and put the bottle away till I can lay my hands on another corkscrew. Well, I am a girl, so that do I know. To him it became a test of manhood, and he spent more than an hour (although he insisted on it being only twenty six minutes) trying to open a blessed bottle while using a variety of very inventive techniques. Eventually, the bottle surrendered! At least everyone liked the wine:)

I was also accused by him in liking Earl Grey tea only because I am a Trekki.

8 comments:

SubWife said...

Earle Grey is the only tea worth drinking. Seriously. And I say this with the authority of someone who has never watch Star Trek or heard of the Starship Enterprise whose continuing mission is to boldly go where no one has gone before... You see, I am completely unbiased ;)

Sally Hazel said...

Make it so!

The story with the potential diaper rash made me cringe...That father's formula was missinge quite a few factors.

SubWife said...

You know, I have been thinking about this whole diaper - Desitin story, and I can't quite get over it. Sigh... You know, this father could use cloth diapers, like our parents did, after all Tide is even cheaper than Desitin. Or get psychiatric evaluation - I believe Bellevue might do it for free...

Ookamikun said...

It was only 26 minutes! The time to get tools and talking about it doesn't count. :-P

You people don't know what you're missing. Stop drinking Celestial Seasonings and Wissotzky and drink some real tea!

My favorites are genmai-cha (green tea with roasted brown rice), Acai berry blend from Stash Tea, White Christmas (premium white tea with mint), also from Stash Tea, and the high altitude Yunan green teas.

Barb Chansky said...

Pardon me, I do not drink Wissozky and Celestial Seasoning:) It's Bigelow, Twinnings, and Stash:)

Ookamikun said...

Bigelow and Twinnings are better, but you can still taste the difference. I've had Bigelow oolong and Stash oolong, you can taste the difference.

Pomegranate started stocking Stash at a very good price. Great place to get imported Chinese and Japanese teas is one of the China Towns and the 3 Japanese stores in Manhattan. YamaMotoYama and Saena-en have awesome teas, both loose and bags.

SubWife said...

Neigher do I (frantically hiding her huge Wissotsky stash, no pun inteded). I have tried Twinings a week ago and will not go back! Sorry Barb for making you drink that while you were dining at SubCasa. which brings me to a different point: it's been a while.

Ookamikun said...

Subs, try Stash and if you buy online, they also have YamaMotoYama.