The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

I AM RACHAEL RAY!

Lately, due to the strange schedule I have been keeping, I did not get to cook a lot, and whenever I did get a chance to prepare a meal, it was usually meet with slightly deflated enthusiasm by my roommate; and cooking for myself is never fun.

So, lo and behold, a few days ago I came home early enough to be able to cook dinner and hungry enough to need to cook it fast (my roomie was even hungrier than I was). Alas, the combined yield of my pantry and my refrigerator was not very promising. We did not even have cheese to spice the pasta, and not enough veggies to make a decent salad (I mean, we had mushrooms, but my roomie does not like them raw).

Then, the inspiration struck! I took one of the last onions (there was no garlic), fried most of it with mushrooms and added that to the salad. The remainder of the onion was sauteed with a bit of olive oil, a little can of tomato sauce, and whole bunch of spices (these I always add by going through my spice rack and trying to figure out what will go well with whatever I am cooking now); and that ended up being the pasta sauce.

The results surpassed my wildest dreams! My border took doubles of everything, and was duly impressed with my homemade pasta sauce. Plus, the whole thing took about twenty eight minutes! Ta-da, I am Rachael Ray!!

PS Thanks to my Mom (she should live till hundred and twenty), and both my Grannies (should they rest in piece) for teaching me not only how to cook, but how to play and improvise in the kitchen. Thank You, G-d, for never, under any circumstances, letting me go hungry.

4 comments:

SubWife said...

you are a lot less obnoxious. and her meals do NOT take 30 minutes, unless you have a personal chef to chop and prep everything for you. So in my book, you are much, much better than RR!!

Sally Hazel said...

Wish I was able to taste some of that stuff!!!!
I have mushrooms and an onion in my fridge, btw... Please do not hesitate to show off!

Barb Chansky said...

Would love to, but I have a hunch that your esteemed hubby and my esteemed brother-in-law would strongly appose to all the "green stuff" I put in the sauce:)
Subwife, thanks for the compliment! I accept personal catering orders:)

SubWife said...

btw, have you seen a MadTV spoof of $40/day w/Rachael Ray? Very funny. (youtube, of course)