The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

FAMILY VIGNETTES

One evening Mini Me granted me the supreme honor of reading her a story before bed (a privilege usually reserved exclusively for Mommy). We were reading her favorite "Olivia", and that evening her comments went along the lines of whatever Olivia did in the book, our American Gnome does with her Mommy. So when we came to the part where Olivia goes to the museum in the rainy weather, Golden Delicious immediately piped up that she is always going to the museum with Mommy during rain. I love conversing with her as a whole, so I asked her if she remembered our lone trip to the Met. "No, I go to the museum all the time, with Mommy". "No, cookie, you went only once, and it was with me". "No, every day, with Mommy." After that we returned to Olivia's adventures. Later on, while I was reporting to my sister on the accomplished mission (sleeping child), I told her about this conversation, jokingly adding that I am a purist, ergo I wanted to clarify the matter. "And my daughter is a loyalist!" - was my sibling's proud response.

Here are two suggestions from my beloved siblings as it pertains to my career goals: the first one was a PhD in Harry Potter Studies; the second one was a PhD in Modern American Romance Novel Studies.

During one memorable Youtube session with Mini Me and Mini Not Me, we were listening to one lively piece accompanied by a collage of different pictures. One of them was a Botticelli. "Un dat" was my nephew's immediate request. Great taste, my little one! Our school!

My sis and I both started at the same college. She had the good sense not to finish there, but that is a different story. Anyway, since the learning institution at that time was relatively small, we ended up with a few of the same professors. One of them (my favorite, despite being a complete crackpot) made a very interesting connection between us. Now, bear in mind that my sis and I look very much alike (Mini Me is a delicious prove of that). So, during one particular discussion, the prof turned towards my sibling and asked her if she had a sister whom he taught before. She replied in the affirmative, to which he added that he was sure about it, because we both have a very finely developed appreciation of sarcasm. I do not know how she feels about that one now, but I still consider it a compliment.

2 comments:

Sally Hazel said...

Two comments: which PhD did I suggest? And- not only I don't mind but I also don't remember:) Well, 'didn't' remember until I read this entry:)

Barb Chansky said...

You suggested the Harry Potter one:)