The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

SHAVUOT

For the second year in a row I have a feeling that G-d is a bit annoyed with us. I mean, just think about it: Shavout is the Holiday of celebrating the receiving of Torah (pretty important, isn't it). Last year we had torrential rains for almost the entire duration of the Holiday; this year, after a pretty cold spring and a bunch of really nice, fantastic days, weather wise, we got hit with the first major hit wave right before Shavout; hence, my little deduction.

Never the less, I had a great time, as I always do, even though it was severely tempered by the fact that I did not prepare the way I planned to prepare. I mean, I had grandiose plans of converting my pig sty of an apartment into human habitat, doing laundry, beautifying myself, etc. But, due to the above mentioned heat wave, which always manages to put me into a depressed mood, I did precisely zip; even forgot to buy customary flowers. Thank G-d for friends!

Here are my Holiday highlights, aside from the wonderful food by all my hosts. Got into a little argument about Obama for President, G-d forbid; tempered myself due to the Holiday; was offered a pro-Obama pin with a suggestion to use it for target practice, if I so desire; accidentally forgot this pin (can only imagine the Freudian conclusions of my friend). Got a chance to do some major catching up; heard lots of jokes, anecdotes, and latest news about mutual friends and acquaintances; accidentally learned that water bugs are called Saddam Hussein; got into more political discussions; never made it to services, despite best intentions, but spoke with Him by myself, non the less. The only thing I missed was seeing my Mini Me (third Shavuot, thank G-d) and Mini Not Me (first Shavuot!!!) at Birkat Kohanim, since they went away (my sister and brother in law went together with them).

On a serious note, I again remembered that long ago lecture from seminary. Shavuot is when we got the tools to fulfill our mission for which we were selected on Passover. That brought very sobering realization: how many of us are aware of this mission? How many know what the mission really is? How many know what these tools are? How many are willing to acquire these tools? And, most importantly, how many of us think that we have the perfect handle on these tools, but in reality misuse them every single day of our lives? Maybe that's why we had such disgusting weather?

We have the clarity of purpose. Heavenly Father, please grant us the clarity of vision and the purity of heart and soul to see it! Next year in Jerusalem!

No comments: