The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

WORK FUNNIES

Part 1: Bagels

The first week at my present work place was not as stressful as the first work weeks usually are. I mean, it was boring as heck, since, to tell you the truth, I am rarely busy the whole day (as evidenced by this blog); plus, the lady whom I replaced due to her retirement was hanging around for about a month after I started, which further diminished my workload.

But, on my first Wednesday, the big boss casually mentioned that every Friday is a bagel day at the office, and I have to make sure to check with my predecessor as to the exact place and order. The following day, at least six people, including the big boss, told me about the sacred Friday ritual. So, obedient to the wishes of the public, I have checked with the old lady, dutifully schlepped to the designated bagel store on Friday morning, and purchased the exact number and variety quoted to me. Oh, brother!

Now at least six people felt duty bound to tell me that they hate these particular bagels, and the only reason she used to buy there was because it was on her way from the bus stop. Huh? But, hey, you can not argue with creative people, especially in your first week. So, I listened to all the kinder garden complains and duly promised to look for a different place. I mean, this is New York! How hard would it be to find a bagel place?

Sure enough, I got lucky. There is a little hole in the wall next to my subway station that always tantalized me with the aroma of fresh bagels, and it is only one block out of my way. So, next Friday morning I went there, got a variety of bagels, plus a variety of cream cheeses, and hauled my loot to work. Oh, brother!

The results again exceeded my expectations. They were so bloody happy as not to be believed! Of course, my boss, being of a neurotic disposition, had to put in his two cents into the whole proceedings. He asked me to take orders every Thursday; since I was not overly burdened with work, I complied with his request for a while. Then, of course, I just used my judgement, and eventually just had a standard order; the owner already knew that I needed exactly six whole wheats:)

And ever since that second Friday, I was, if not exactly their hero, at least somebody very likable. One senior partner officially thanked me for the "work I was doing with the bagels"; another partner's wife, upon seeing me the for the first time, told me that she heard so many good things about me, especially the fact that I have found a new bagel place. Every new intern that passes through our office is made to anticipate a great event on his or her first Friday. One Friday morning, when I had an appointment and the designated bagel buyer for that week was late, the office officially declared a bagel emergency, dispatched somebody else, and, of course ended up with double the usual amount. And every Friday that I am absent, there is a general grumbling about the fact that they will not be served "good" bagels.

Basically, it is my honour and privilege to provide this little slice of heaven to our office:)

No comments: