The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

ANOTHER STRANGE MEMORY

As a rule, I adore listening to the self-righteous prigs of any sex or denomination. They always provide me with unending entertainment and general wonderment.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading an article blasting the media; nothing new or objectionable in it, or even something I would have disagreed with, for that matter. But a phrase close to the end caught my attention; it was something along the lines of Jamie Lynn Spears choosing to have a child out of wedlock. Not that I am claiming that this young lady should be the role model for all our young ladies, but what gives? She choose to have sex out wedlock; once that resulted in pregnancy, obviously not planned or expected (we are talking about two dumb teenagers, after all), there was only one choice: the one that the author of that article and many of his like minded colleges spent their lives to oppose. So, again, what gives?

While I was pondering that strange composition, another, seemingly unrelated memory, popped into my mind. That went all the way to somewhere in 2001, back to when I was working for an organization peopled and run by the members of my own religious denomination. My department had the pleasant duty of covering the secondary reception desk, which everyone, aside from me, hated with passion. I, on the other hand, always welcomed the opportunity of basically reading for an hour on the company's clock. So, at one such reading break, another co-worker stopped by to chat; of course, the first question was about my reading material, which at that time was "Lord of the Rings". That, not surprisingly, led to questions about Harry Potter, which anyone who knows me will confirm as pretty dangerous to ask, since I tend to gush about it for about an hour. But since I was not in a mood to schmooze with her when I could read, I contained myself and just politely responded that I loved Harry Potter. To which she was compelled to reply that, although she herself did not read any of "Harry" books, she heard that they were objectionable due to the fact that the main personages from that series attend a "mixed" school where boys and girls are together during most of their days.

Stupidity by itself is very harmful; stupidity cloaked in religious observance - lethal.

1 comment:

La Poutine Cachere said...

LOL. The main objection I had heard until now to the Harry Potter books was that they deal with magic. Leave it to Brooklyn to zoom in on the school being mixed. :=)

Isn't it interesting how certain people who condemn internet, movies, or anything else that can be deemed "popular" are the same people who could write pages upon pages about the exact content they are condemning? I guess they aren't so put off by the given material after all, since they are intimately familiar with it. The forbidden remains fascinating, no?