The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Friday, March 30, 2007

FROM THE MOUTH OF MY CO-WORKER

Part 2

OK, back to the story: German/Persian husband. I understand that as a Jew I am in a unique position: we were country-less for almost two thousand years, and during those times were not extremely welcome anywhere. Even after we regained our country (after a fashion), we are vilified all other the world for trying to keep this country and protect its civilians. So, if a country, any country, was more of a step-mother than a mother to us, we do not own it any allegiance. I cannot in good conscience say that I can empathize with somebody who misses his or her country because they had to escape it due to, well, fear for their lives. I can understand missing a unique culture and a certain way of life; missing a country where an overwhelming majority of its population voluntarily, through revolution none the less, put in charge ayatollahs and religious police is simply beyond me! The guy is pining to go back; she is basically agreeable (although with a stipulation that eventually they have to come back here). While she is living there, however, I wonder how she would enjoy obeying the Sharia laws; I also wonder how they think they will be able to just return here?

So, anyway, after the visitor left, I half-jokingly said to her that I couldn't help overhearing their conversation. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, for some reason we were discussing international travel. She professed the desire to see as much of the world as possible, to which I replied that being a bit of a Western snob; I am not dying to get about ten extra inoculations so that I can see some ancient monument and the terrible poverty surrounding it. Plus, I added, as a Jew I am not welcome in most of the Muslim countries. Horrified look. "Really? Well, how would they know?" Oh, the gentle innocence... I quoted an old Russian joke to her about people hitting you on the face and not on your passport, then I compounded it by saying that it is an official policy of some of the "peaceful Muslim countries" not to admit anyone who has an Israeli stamp or visa in their passport, never mind the holders of an actual Israeli passport. The poor dear was duly horrified. How could they? I didn't feel like going into the whole tirade about the "religion of peace" and my feelings about it. One day, when she will really peeve me about it, I will give her a few of Yashiko Sagamori's articles. They are very witty, eloquent, and well researched. For that day, I was just trying to explain that Muslims do not really practice religious toleration. In their view, everybody is born a Muslim, and it is their job to bring every single lost soul back into the fold, at the sword's point, if necessary. If the ungrateful infidel will persist in his wicked ways, he or she will be put to that sword. "Well", she replied, "aren't Jewish laws along the same lines? Like, if you are born Jewish..." Oy, Gevalt! I think my triple "no" was pronounced with a slightly raised voice. At which point she looked at me with a slightly scared expression, murmured something about her being a Catholic and me probably not liking Catholics too, and scampered.

Now, why did I decide to recall that particular conversation and that particular episode? My feelings on the previous topics were basically explained, as to this. I am sure my Jewish friends do not need the commentary, but, just in case, here goes. First of all, as a side note, I do not hate Catholics. They are people just like everybody else; individual human beings, good and bad, smart and not so, friendly or hostile. They also believe that if you do not proclaim your allegiance to a certain god, your soul is damned forever; but some time ago they progressed from imposing that believe through torture and murder. Highly moral, estimable and peaceful Muslims, on the other hand, never progressed that far.

Second and most important point: Jews constitute less than one percent of the total population. Somehow, they manage to be disproportionately represented in science, politics, and news. Now, nobody, and I mean nobody, has to know anything about us or give us their love and friendship (or meaningless apologies after the drunken runts, for that matter). On the other hand, accusing us of goodness knows what without having any kind of rudimentary understanding of the basics of Judaism or our history: isn't it just a tad un-academic and not in the spirit of good sportsmanship?

No comments: