The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Friday, October 30, 2009

MILESTONES?

Anyone who knows me personally can attest to the fact that I am a firm believer in the old-fashioned paper and pen missives. As a result, I have a whole collection of stationary, post cards, greeting cards, ect., etc., etc.; and shopping for those things is second in pleasure only to shopping for books (especially when everything is housed in one place). But sometimes the experience turns out to be bitter-sweet.

For one, I still get a little sad when I see something addressed to grandmother – because I will never buy it again. I also get strangely contemplative when I see something for either husband or wife – and no, it is not because I am not married.

You see, aside from getting my parents Birthdays and Anniversaries cards from myself (and my siblings), I used to be my parents’ (especially my Dad’s) secretary and get all this stuff for both of them as well, because my Dad is a typical guy when it comes to these matters, and my Mom was always afraid to due to the lack of English comprehension she would get something not necessarily appropriate.

As a result, a little while ago, while shopping for Birthday card for a friend born in August is suddenly dawned on me that had my parents stayed together, that August would have been their 40th Wedding Anniversary; and that led to the contemplation of what the celebration would have been like. I also remembered the 25th Anniversary I have put together for them almost single-handedly (my siblings were in camp), and how happy I was while doing it. And I also remembered the 30th, and how I decided to not throw a party because things were a bit iffy at the times.

What can I tell you – life does give you strange-shaped lemons once in a while; and this time I had no desire to make lemonade.

No comments: