The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Friday, October 16, 2009

YOM KIPPUR

Fashion/On The Lighter Side Edition

Everyone who knows our family knows that we are very punctual people and hate being late to anything. Hence, yours truly was the first to arrive on Kol Nidre Night (and even had the dubious honor of entering through the men’s entrance and opening up women’s).

After I finished Mincha, there was not much to do but wait and observe the new arrivals. And it struck me once again, not with a vengeance, but strongly enough: how come ladies in this community look like they have been taking wardrobe tips from Beau Brummell? Inasmuch as I know for a fact that there is very little interest in history amongst them in general and practically none for the English history, especially the Regency Period in particular, who is channeling the late unlamented dandy? Because about ninety seven percent of ladies attending (including the younger generation) were wearing stark, unrelieved black; about two or three of them wore pure white; and yet about seven more were in black and white. Only about six other people (including yours truly) were wearing some other colors (mainly grey, olive, and brown). And, of course, the next morning it continued in the same venue, aside from two very refreshing-looking young ladies, one of which was wearing a leather suit.

In a momentary flight of fancy I got a strong urge to inform the assembled honorable matrons that Brummell was credited by historians with simplifying the male mode of dress, not female; and then I realized something else. Apparently, there is a new rage to wear plumages in one’s hair (mainly made from feathers of small birds, but faux flowers or fruit are also popular). I suppose those fanciful hair ornaments were meant to counteract the black/male simplicity.

On the personal note, a la Cher Horowitz, I am happy to report that I broke in my off-white Vera Wang flip-flops.

I also managed, once again, without fail, to fall asleep during the Rabbi’s speeches, and during the chazzan’s repetitions, so, when Birkat Kohanim came along, the reference to dreams was very fresh.

On a serious note, it was a very uplifting day, and I profoundly hope that The Heavenly Father accepted all our prayers and sealed all of us in the Book of Life.

3 comments:

Sally Hazel said...

Amen!
Thanks for the chuckle!

Ookamikun said...

Isn't the Rabbi's speech the universally designated time for taking a nap?

Dina said...

The hair things are called fascinators, and truth be told, I really really want one - am thinking of making one myself, actually.