The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

SUBWAY TALES

Part 6

One pretty dreary (or maybe pretty nice) weekday morning I boarded my favorite "Q" to go to one of my favorite places: work. The reason I remember the morning as being dreary was my everlasting tiredness, which on that particular morning manifested itself with a vengeance. Basically, I wanted to catch a decent snooze on my commute.

So, I got half lucky: I found a seat, but it was in between a skinny oriental-looking high school kid and a regular-size guy, who, in the best tradition of his sex, occupied much more than his allotted spot. Anyway, the snooze was also pretty elusive, but I managed to at least tone out most of my fellow passengers. Till DeKalb Avenue, that is.

On that particular stop, the school kid got off, and the seat became available. Mind you, that seat was right next to the doors, which were both blocked by two hefty ladies who looked like they might be Obama supporters. Around five meters diagonally from that seat stood another healthy looking lady of undetermined origins. As soon as that coveted seat became vacant, she run those five meters in her fashionable high heeled shoes, plopped herself down, took out her cosmetic bag, and, in the best tradition of New York subway riders, proceeded with the full make up application.

The projected Obama supporter who stood closer to that now occupied seat finally realized the folly of just looking proud and dignified. She directed a disdainful glance at my present neighbour and proclaimed very loudly:"look at her: running to that seat and busy with her make up! I have no respect for people like this!"

10 comments:

Moish said...

OBAMA '08!

Sally Hazel said...

Hope she's gained respect for fitness training.
Boo to Obama 08!

Moish said...

Boo, moo or shmoo, after 8 years of Clintons and 8 years of Bush, I am voting with the Stern motto when he left k-rock - NO MORE BULLSHIT!

SubWife said...

to be correct, it is collective 12 years of Bush and 8 years of Clinton. I say boo to 2008 Elections altogether. If this is the best US can produce in terms of candidates, then I am moving to Canada.

Sally Hazel said...

Since we know that this IS the best of the candidates (sad as it may be), do you really want to move to Canada or try to deal with what you've got?

SubWife said...

14 months of maternity leave, free health care, snow(!) - what else might one want? Yep, given the right opportunity, I would move to Canada.

Sally Hazel said...

Given the right opportunity...It's the election year, so it's now or never.

SubWife said...

Will they close the borders after November '08? I am not in a rush, but you seem to be particularly eager to get rid of me. Why is that?

Sally Hazel said...

Grin. don't know about the border. But unless I misread your comment it seems to suggest that you are on your way over 'If this is the best US can produce in terms of candidates, then I am moving to Canada'.

SubWife said...

I just had the brilliant idea, but at the last minute decided that it would be good enough for the post.