The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Monday, May 05, 2008

HOMELAND SECURITY IS ACTUALLY WORKING!!!!

A couple of weeks ago, something possessed me to take a bus to train instead of walking. Usually, unless the bus comes right away or it's raining buckets, I always end up kicking myself for this exercise, because I invariably end up spending more time in getting to the subway, plus, half the time the bus is usually pretty full. This time would have ended with the usual feeling of self-recrimination, if not for the following amusing story.

The bus was taking its sweet time arriving; by the time it finally graced us with its presence, it was stuffed to the rafters; thankfully, it was not alone. So, I boarded the second bus, which was not so stuffed, and mentally continued to reiterate all the reasons why taking the bus was folly on my part. Somewhere between Park and Madison I was rudely interrupted because the bus braked rather suddenly. The culprit for this violent break job was the armored NYPD vehicle. In the almost seven years after the terrorist attacks New Yorkers have gotten used to the constant presence of the police and the armored police vehicles and their inexplicable behavior, so, all of us, including the driver, just cursed and moved on. Next thing we know, somebody was banging very loudly on the side of the moving bus.

So, the driver stopped and opened the door. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the shmuck who was dying to get on the bus was a policeman in a bulletproof west. "Great", was my first thought, "now I will get home at around nine in the evening". The officer politely wished all of us good evening, and then asked if anyone on the bus had a medical procedure recently. What??? Well, to everyone's everlasting surprise, a yeshivish looking little dude in the back just raised his hand with the official looking paper in it. The policeman checked out the paper, wished the dude the best of health, and then, probably realizing that citizens demanded explanations, explained to all of us the the guy had a procedure done that left some radioactive particles in his body, which a cute-looking little gadget in his hand picked up.

Hurray!!!!! Homeland Security is actually working!!! Next step: racial profiling at our airports (I can dream, can't I?)

1 comment:

Sally Hazel said...

How cool is thaT!?
Every time there was a patient who's 'radioactive for 24 hours' following a certain procedure, I just thought it was funny and secretly always wanted to ask if s/he'd glow in the dark.
Your post just answered this question.
Really cool!