The Best Motto

Gd, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannon change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You woke up this morning - Congratulations! You got another chance!

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

PESACH 5773


So, another Pesach come and gone. My mom always feels a bit cheated – because we (especially ladies) put sow much effort in it, and then, poof, 7-8 days, and it's gone!

This time around it also came to me again (and stronger): how much time and physical effort we waste on spring cleaning and other assorted (and, might I add, unnecessary) nonsense before the holiday, resulting in the first (and sometimes even second) Seder spent in almost total stupefaction. I mean, come on – do the kitchen, buy food, and then annul chometz – that's all! Of course, we feel like we have to greet Pesach in a totally organized house, scrubbed from top to bottom – but it's usually a loosing proposition, even if you don't have kids running around and hiding snacks in places no professional spy would ever dream of. On the side note – it always amuses me to think about gentiles approaching spring cleaning with such serious intent and having no idea of the origins of this quaint little custom.

Over all, my Pesach was nice and enjoyable, and I thank all my friends who fed me. But this time I also realized that, as much as I love the company, I am a bit old for this racket. I really, really would love to have someone at home to cook for and have a seuda with.

Of course I did not make it to services once, but can still produce a decent fashion report. In a nutshell: despite Pesach being a spring holiday, when everyone is breaking out their summer wardrobe, and some color does appear (even in New York), this year the weather was a bit blah-y and yuck-y, resulting in almost complete proliferation of black ensembles among the good womenfolk of South Brooklyn.

And what holiday can escape the occasional genius statements at the festive table? This year was no exception, and included, among others, discussions pro gun control, superiority of Israeli medicine as opposed to ours, and my cute devotion to this country.

Pesach corresponds to the time we were chosen for our special mission. As long as we remember that, re-experience our freedom from slavery, and remind ourselves once again about the tremendous responsibility and great blessing of being Jews, the frantic spring cleaning and drunken stupor during and after Seder were not in vain.   

No comments: